This is an Agreement between you (the “Member” or “You”) and The UK Shaolin Temple Limited (“UK Shaolin Centre”, “UK Shaolin”, “us”, “We” or “we”), a company registered in England and Wales (registration number Company No. 08372242, Charity No. 1150698).
By completing the joining process at our website and becoming a Member of the UK Shaolin Centre, you are accepting all the terms and conditions in this Membership Agreement. You should only join if you have read them and accepted them.
- Add-on: a secondary product that you may have in addition to your Membership. Special terms apply to Add-on products; see below for currently available products:
- Administration Fee: these are fees raised for changing membership terms or processing any other requests to the terms as set out on our website.
- UK Shaolin Centre Rules: the rules governing your conduct as set out on our website at https://ukshaolin.com/membership-options/membership-rules/.
- Joining Fee: the amount notified to you as part of the website joining process as a one-off fee payable for membership.
- Massage Therapy: services provided directly to you which do not form part of this Membership Agreement and are subject to a separate agreement between you and the therapist.
- Member Area: the online portal for centre members at https://ukshaolin.com/login/
- Membership: your contractual relationship with us, which can be on various terms, some of which are only available at the centre, as follows:
- 3-Months; 6- Months and Annual Membership: membership that is paid upfront and has a fixed term of 3, 6, 12 or 24 months. These memberships are all non-refundable, non-changeable and non-transferable.
- Off-Peak Membership: a membership that allows the holder to enter UK Shaolin Centre during specified times of the day, currently Monday to Friday: 10:00-16:00.
- Adult Membership: a membership for the UK Shaolin Centre only.
- Student Membership: Membership available to Students only, with a fixed duration, and subject to the separate student terms and conditions set out herein.
- Senior Membership: Membership available to over 66 year olds only, with a fixed duration, and subject to the separate senior membership terms and conditions set out herein.
- Cross-Location Membership: discounted Adult or Student Silver Membership that allows members to train at multiple locations (Southampton and Bournemouth)
- Monthly Membership Amount: the amount you agree to pay each month for your Membership. Only applies to certain types of Membership.
- Membership Amount: the amount you agree to pay upfront for your fixed term Membership. Only applies to certain types of membership.
- Personal Training Sessions: sessions booked by you directly with an independent self-employed trainer which do not form part of this agreement and are not provided by UK Shaolin Temple and are subject to a separate agreement between you and the individual.
- Promotional Rate: in relation to any Monthly Membership amount and/or the amount payable from time to time for any category of Membership, the introductory or other promotional amount you agree to pay during the introductory period specified in the promotional or introductory offer.
- Sports Therapy: Services provided directly to you which do not form part of this membership and are subject to a separate agreement between you and the therapist
Starting Your Membership
- Our joining process is an online process. Full membership prices and options can be found on our website (https://ukshaolin.com/), to be selected by you as part of the joining process. By completing the online joining process and becoming a Member of UK Shaolin Centre, you are accepting all the terms and conditions in this Membership Agreement (insofar as they are applicable). You should only join if you have read and accepted them.
- This Membership Agreement starts once you have accepted the terms during the online joining process. By accepting the terms, you are agreeing to pay any applicable Joining Fee, Administration Fee, Membership Amount and Monthly Membership Amount. These are shown at the start of the joining process and again before you confirm your payment instruction.
- Your Membership starts immediately from the date that you pay for your membership and set up your subscription on Paypal. If you join by Standing Order, your Membership will start on the first day of the month of setting up your Standing Order.
- You agree to comply with UK Shaolin Centre Membership Rules and you agree to use the centre facilities and equipment in the proper manner. You must consult a member of staff if you are unsure. We are not liable for any injury you suffer through the incorrect use of our equipment or facilities.
- You confirm that you are at least 16 years old. Please note that you must provide on request valid proof of age if we believe you to be under the age of 16. If you are unable to provide valid proof of age on request your membership may be terminated.
- You will be liable for any damage caused to our equipment or facilities through your negligent use.
- You agree to tell us immediately of any changes to your personal details, including contact information; this should be done in the online Member Area.
Member Health Agreement Declaration
You understand and accept our health agreement. To read more here: https://ukshaolin.com/member-health-agreement-declaration/
Using Our Centre
- You are entitled to access and to use UK Shaolin Centre defined by your Membership until termination or suspension of that Membership pursuant to this Agreement.
- We will make reasonable endeavours to make available to you the rights and privileges of Membership of the UK Shaolin Centre you joined and have paid for. This includes access to the centre and centre equipment, changing areas, staff and independent self-employed trainers for general advice. We will make reasonable endeavours to communicate to you in advance if we are unable to make available to you the rights and privileges of Membership.
- Members with an Off-Peak Membership will be able to enter the centre during specified times only, as set-out in the Definition of Off-Peak Membership above.
Changing Your Membership
- Some Membership types can be changed. Fees may apply.
- If you make regular Monthly Membership Amount payments you may Freeze your Membership. Your membership can be frozen from a minimum of 1 month, starting from the day your next payment is due. To freeze your membership, you’ll need to inform us a minimum of 14 days before your next payment due date. When your Membership is frozen, you won’t be able to use our centre and a reduced Monthly Membership Fee may apply. Please contact us for more information.
- If you have a discounted Membership and you change to a new Membership product, you will waive the right to the discount (or any Promotional Rate) on the original Membership and pay the standard price on the new Membership.
- If you have a discounted Membership and your Membership is terminated, you will waive the right to the discount and pay the advertised Membership Amount or Monthly Membership Amount if you later choose to rejoin UK Shaolin Centre.
- We reserve the right to change the access privileges of members with Membership packages that allow access to the UK Shaolin Centre.
- We may, with reasonable notice and at our discretion, close our premises for reasonable periods of time to carry out maintenance, repairs, refurbishment, cleaning or for other reasons outside of our control, including at least 2 days a year for necessary maintenance or other work. We will endeavour to reopen facilities as soon as is reasonably possible in these circumstances. You agree that you will not be eligible for any refund for the temporary interruption in services during the period.
Managing Your Permissions And Data
- You can contact us with any queries or concerns by emailing email@example.com from (or quoting) the email address that we hold for you.
Special Terms For Centre Memberships
- As a UK Shaolin member, you may access the Open Gym or Open Mat area, as per your Membership. You will need to book in these sessions via the Member Area.
- As a UK Shaolin member, you can invite up to 1 friend a month to join you for a session. This can be done online when booking into your class. When booking into the class, please tick the box that you are bringing other people and state 1 in the amount field. When you bring your friend, you confirm that you are bringing a friend to join your training session and agree to both comply with the UK Shaolin Centre Membership Rules. You can only invite one friend each month.
- As a UK Shaolin member, you can benefit from a range of discounts & perks from a selection of our external partners. The partners are responsible for establishing a separate set of terms & conditions with you. The UK Shaolin Centre cannot be held responsible for the goods or services provided by these suppliers.
Special Terms For Student Memberships
You agree that to be eligible for a https://ukshaolin.com/membership-options/student-membership/ you must be in full or part-time education and will provide proof of this status if requested.
Special Terms For Cross-Location Memberships
To participate in training across multiple locations, individuals must sign up separately with each location but are entitled to a discount. Cross-location training fees are applicable to the Adult and Student Silver memberships only. The cross-location fee for Bournemouth is set at 15% of the Silver Membership rate, while the cross-location rate for Southampton is 25% of the Silver Membership rate.
Please note that if a cross-location membership is canceled at one location, the corresponding membership at the other location will also be terminated. Should a participant wish to exclusively train at one specific location, they will be required to transition to a location-specific membership package accordingly.
We encourage individuals interested in training across locations to thoroughly review the terms and conditions of both locations before signing up to ensure a clear understanding of the obligations and benefits associated with cross-location memberships. For further information or clarification regarding membership options and conditions, please visit our locations page or contact us directly.
- If your Membership has an initial Membership Amount fee, you agree to pay us the full Membership Amount by credit or debit card. You will be notified of any applicable Membership Amount at the end of the online joining process, and this amount will be confirmed to you by email.
- If your Membership has a recurring Monthly Membership Amount fee, you agree to maintain the subscription on PayPal or Stripe or a Direct Debit instruction with your bank (or recurring international Credit Card payment for overseas members) for the Monthly Membership Amount. Your first Monthly Membership Amount is due on the date of the online joining process (which will also be confirmed to you by email), and subsequent Monthly Membership payments will be due on the same day of each month until your Membership is cancelled. Any Standing Orders will start and renew on the first of each month.
- If the terms on which you are accepted as a Member include an initial Promotional Rate, you agree to pay the discounted Promotional Rate as a recurring Monthly Membership Amount during the introductory period specified in the promotional or introductory offer and that thereafter we may debit for the higher standard Monthly Membership Amount specified in the promotional offer (or such higher rate as might apply) in respect of each successive month after the introductory period has lapsed and unless or until your Membership is cancelled.
- We reserve the right, at our discretion, to change your Monthly Membership Amount fee. If this happens we’ll notify you by email not less than 3 weeks before the change is made. You are able to cancel your membership within this period, and if we don’t hear from you within the period the new Monthly Membership Amount fee will apply automatically.
- You agree to pay us the Monthly Membership Amount regardless of whether there is any temporary interruption in services during the period, foreseen or unforeseen. In circumstances where we are required to close or restrict facilities for any reason no refunds will be due.
- If any payment due from you is returned unpaid or not honoured, you will pay us on demand an Administration Fee of £15.
Ending Your Membership
- You have the right to cancel this Agreement within 14 days from the start of the Agreement without giving any reason, but you must let us know you wish to do so within the 14-day period. You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us through the Member Area, or you may use the contact form at https://ukshaolin.com/contact/.
- In case of dispute you must show that you cancelled the Agreement in accordance with the cancellation terms, but for these purposes it will be sufficient to show that you sent your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period had expired.
- If you have requested an immediate membership start date and you cancel your Membership within the 14-day period, proportionate charges will be due. We will refund to you any Membership Amount and Monthly Membership Amount you have paid us, but the refunded amount will be reduced by the higher of (a) the one-day pass rate and (b) an amount in proportion to the number of days between the start of your Membership and the date you communicated to us that you wanted to cancel. Refunds will be made no later than 14 days after the day on which we were informed about your decision to cancel, and will be made using the same means of payment you used for the initial transaction.
- After the 14-day cancellation period you may terminate your Membership at any time by cancelling your direct debit mandate with your bank, or by contacting our member service team if you pay via recurring card payment. Please allow at least 14 days before your next payment due date for the cancellation to be processed for the next billing date. If you request a cancellation within 14 days of your upcoming payment due date, the cancellation will apply from the following payment due date. No refunds will be given for unused billing periods; You will be able to use the centre until the end of your billing period.
- We will terminate this Agreement and your Membership with immediate effect if you do not pay any applicable Joining Fee, Administration Fee, Membership Amount or Monthly Membership Amount when it falls due.
- We may terminate this Agreement and cancel your Membership with immediate effect on notice to you if you breach UK Shaolin Centre Membership Rules. In this event you will no longer be able to access any of our facilities and we will not give any refund.
- If we do not terminate your Membership if you breach any of the UK Shaolin Centre Membership Rules, or if we give you extra time to pay if you do not pay your Joining Fee, Administration Fee, Membership Amount or Monthly Membership Amount when it falls due, that will not prevent us from subsequently enforcing the terms of this Agreement.
- We may assign the benefit of this Agreement and our rights to a third party provided we give you notice and your rights under this Agreement will not be prejudiced.
- We consider the safety of our members and our staff to be paramount. We reserve the right to refuse any application for Membership or terminate an existing Membership where we consider that that Membership may pose a risk to the health and/or safety of other members or staff. If this happens, we will notify you of this and refund all unused Joining Fees, Administration Fees, Membership Amount or Monthly Membership Amount.
- Personal Training Sessions and “additional services” do not form part of this Agreement and are not provided by the UK Shaolin Centre.
- Any “additional services” (including, for example, Personal Training Sessions, Sports Therapy and Massage Therapy) which you contract for or agree to pay for, do not form part of your Membership Agreement and the Terms & Conditions of this Agreement will not apply to them. You should be aware that if you enter into any agreement for “additional services”, you are entering into an agreement with those individuals and not with us.
- We do not accept any liability for any losses, damage, personal injury or other loss caused by any negligent act or omission of those providing the “additional services” which are specifically excluded from the Membership Agreement and We do not accept any responsibility for the same save where precluded by law.
- We may provide induction services or personal reviews of your training needs. Such services are provided without additional charge.
Member Satisfaction Surveys
- From time to time we may choose to invite some of our members to participate in a survey of satisfaction. This invitation will usually be by e-mail.
- At our discretion member satisfaction survey participation may be associated with a prize draw offering cash prizes of varying amounts to participants. Members that respond to such an invitation by completing the satisfaction survey by the advertised closing date will be entered into the draw.
- Eligible participants will only be entered once into a particular draw. A winner will be chosen at random from all entrants to that draw within 90 days of the closing date. Winners will be contacted after the prize is drawn to arrange receipt of the prize.
- Only you, the person named in the online joining process, can benefit from this Agreement.
- If any of the terms of this Agreement are invalid, unenforceable or illegal the remaining terms can still be enforced.
- UK Shaolin Temple Ltd, its parent companies, its agents, employees and subcontractors are not liable for any loss, damage or theft of any of your property that you bring onto any of our premises. If such loss, damage or theft is caused by the negligent acts or omissions of UK Shaolin Centre or its agents, employees or subcontractors, our liability to you will be limited to £500.
- We may make reasonable changes to UK Shaolin Centre Membership Rules and the Membership Agreement at any time. It is your responsibility to check online at regular intervals for changes to these documents.
- This Agreement is governed by the law of England and Wales.
- You should print a copy of this Agreement for future reference.
Reviewed: 5th December 2023