Ba Duan Jin is one of the oldest exercise routines as it was one of the first that was practiced in the Shaolin Temple monks in China.
The routine consists of eight exercises, which focus on different Qi meridians and internal organs. The ideal is to repeat each section eight times. Shifu Shi Yan Ming taught the participants the standing form as presented below:
- 双手托天理三焦(Shuāngshǒu tuōtiānlǐsānjiāo) Both hands support the heaven and regulate Triple Burner
- 左右拉弓如射雕(Zuǒyòu lāgōng rúshèdiāo) Left and right draw the bow to shoot the eagle
- 调理脾胃须单举(Tiáolǐpíwèi xūdān jǔ) Single arm rises in order to regulate the spleen and the stomach
- 五劳七伤向后瞧(Wǔláo qīshāng xiàng hòu qiáo) Look backwards in order to adjust the brain and internal organs
- 摇头摆尾去心火(Yáotóubǎiwěi qùxīn huǒ) Expel inner heat by shaking the head and swing the tail
- 双手盘膝固肾腰(Shuāngshǒu pánxīgùshèn yāo) Strengthen the kidneys, waist and lower back with both hands on the knees
- 攥拳怒目增气力(Zuàn quán nùmùzēng qìlì) Increase your energy and power by having angry eyes and clench your teeth
- 背后起点诸病消(Bèihòu qǐdiǎn zhūbìng xiāo) Lift your heals to shake the body of illness
Shaolin Ba Duan Jin relaxes the muscles and facilitates healthy blood flow. It is very beneficial for Qi, blood circulation, immunity, and aid in healthy metabolism. Ba Duan Jin also helps to develop focus, reduce stress, as well as, increase mobility and flexibility. The benefits of Ba Duan Jin are felt by young and old alike, and it is believed that you will become healthier the more you practice this form.